Generally, speech therapy starts with an assessment given by the SLP, who will later classify the type of speech or communication disorder and which suitable treatment is best for the patient. Well, speech therapy is done in two-phase- for children and adults. As per the type of communication disorder, the mode of treatment differs.
Speech therapy for children
For children, speech therapy in Delhi may occur in a small group or classroom. However, the one-on-one method is the best way to treat speech disorders. But these methods vary depending upon the type of disorder. Likewise, speech therapy activities and exercises differ depending on the child’s disorder, needs, and age. So during the process, the SLP may follow the following steps:
- The SLP may interact with the child through playing and talking. They can also use pictures, books, and other objects to help provoke language development.
- Besides, the SLP also uses model correct sounds along with syllables while age- appropriate play for the child. So they can teach the child to make certain sounds.
- Speech therapy in Delhi also provides some strategies and homework for both the child and parent or the guardian. So they can continue speech therapy at home too.
Speech therapy for adults
Speech therapy in the case of adults also starts with the assessment to check the basic needs and the better treatment procedure as per the speech disorder. However, speech therapy for adults offers different exercises that help the patient with language, speech, and cognitive communication.
Speech therapy in Delhi may also contain retraining of the swallowing function to check whether an injury or medical condition exists. Such as oral cancer, Parkinson’s disease, as in such cases, patients face difficulty swallowing. So the SLP may offer the following exercises:
- The patient may be given problem-solving, organization, memory, and other activities that will help in treating cognitive communication.
- Further treatment measures include a conversational strategy to improve the patient’s social communication.
- Breathing exercises are the best way for resonance.
- Even the SLP also offers some exercises which can strengthen the oral muscles of the patient.
Further for those who are trying to perform the activities at home, there are several ways to get help from-
- Speech therapy apps
- Some language development games like flashcards and flip cards and even with some toys.
How long a patient needs speech therapy?
Well, the time required by a person in speech therapy depends on certain factors.
- Patient’s age
- Severity and type of communication disorder.
- How frequently the patient has undergone the therapy.
- Further, elemental medical condition.
- Even the treatment measure of that medical condition.
Well, in some cases, speech disorders start during childhood and further improves with age. But there are certain cases where speech disorder continues till adulthood.
So in such a case it requires long-term treatment and maintenance to improve the patient’s health and speech disorder.
It’s found that some medical condition or stroke generally causes communication disorders. But it may improve with time, and proper treatment can improve patient’s health and confidence.